Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wedding Wisdom Wednesday

As the new Event Sales Manager of the Orion and a newly engaged girl myself, I am always looking to get advice and pass it along to other brides. From this need to know of the dos and don'ts of this vast endeavor called wedding planning, I have created Wedding Wisdom Wednesdays where I plan to post a little bit of expertise I have picked up along the way. So here it goes...

1. Have you seen the weather lately? Consider not getting married outside in May. Unpredictability is not our friend. Venues that can host both ceremony and reception are ideal for brides who do not like things out of their control. Um, hello! When has Texas weather ever been "controlled"? The Orion is a beautiful indoor space that can hold up to a 175 person ceremony and seating for 250 during reception.

2.  Save money and don’t print one wedding program per guest. Try printing just 50. No matter how large your guest count is. That’s all that’s ever used up anyway. I see brides that spend way too much time and money assembling programs that are either left in the church or tossed away by the servers after an outdoor ceremony.

3.  Hire a wedding coordinator. Have I said this before? I understand the need to cut back in areas of your big day that you don't feel are neccessary, but let me stress the importance of having someone for day of. Your mom, your sister, and your best friend do not want to be setting up your engagement pictures all across the venue or lighting candles on every table. Hire someone to make sure every detail is covered and that the DJ sticks to the timeline. Yes, wedding coordinators want everyone to have fun too but we also want to make sure your family and friends get to see you cut the cake or run through the sparkler exit.

4 .  Your wedding photographs can never be redone. Hire a good photographer the first time. They are second most important to hiring a wedding planner. Consider a videographer in the budget as well. Even if you don't have one too many glasses of champange during your wedding, I guarantee you will not remember every word from the Best Man's toast, or the look that your sweet grandma gave you as you were coming back down the aisle. You want these moments captured! (Love to all my photographer and videographer friends, you know your place in my heart.)

5.  That leads me to my next case...If your toast givers (Maid of Honor and Best Man) are likely to be intoxicated half way through your reception, consider sparing them and every single person in the room the embarrassment, and place the toasts in the beginning of the night. Or have your fathers on deck to give a sentimental speech about you growing up. Trust me, you want a Plan B.

Stay tuned for more Wedding Wisdom next Wednesday!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment